Sunday, December 7, 2014

What I Took Away from my First STS Class

     Coming into the class, I expected that this experience would open up my eyes. I was thinking that understanding standards and how they impact society would aid me in understanding the world that we live in and how to make it work to my advantage. I was interested in using the power of observation, analysis, and the class to make me into a capable and well- rounded part of society.
      The class turned out to be a success. Now in daily conversation I find myself using the phrase, "Well that's a standard" and being critical of the process in which standards are developed. Currently, my understanding of standards and the reasons that they are developed grew to a level where I feel knowledgeable in the topic. The topic of standards is truly an infectious topic, due to the fact the more one lets it sink into one's mind one starts to see it everywhere.
         The words standards and society are a very good name for the class. Without standards, society would be a chaotic scene. Without society, standards have no reason to be. Society was built on standards (standards of roads, buildings, transportation, work, and food), just to name a few and apparent.
      The manner in which I saw this being applied to business was in the field of competitive advantage. If a competitor could apply the knowledge from this class to how standards almost set the market for a good or service, the company can set the good or service's standard. By raising the "bar" or standard the company will therefore be the industry leader and symbol of the industry.
     To conclude, the class was very enjoyable and intriguing. The class had a good dynamic between business, computer, and engineering majors. The manner in which the information was presented was very chronological and easy to follow. The dynamic between two professors teaching the class with expertise was very interesting and attention grabbing. More classes should have that dynamic.

Thank you for a great semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment